The name of the LORD is a strong tower; The righteous run to it and are safe. (Proverbs 18:10)
So what makes the name of the Lord Jesus so powerful that even the demons (evil spirit, devil or fiend) run at the sound of it?
In the Christian Holy Bible, in the Book of Matthew 1:21, an angel declares to Joseph, Virgin Mary’s future husband, “And she will bring forth a Son, and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins.”
The angel was prophesying the purpose of the birth of the Lord Jesus who will save His people from their sins–a Savior!
The Lord Jesus went about the countryside preaching the gospel and healing those with infirmities using His supernatural (supernatural mid 15c., “above nature, transcending nature, belonging to a higher realm,”) abilities:
All the ways of a man are pure in his own eyes, But the LORD weighs the spirits. (Proverbs 16:2)
- …and great multitudes came together to hear, and to be healed by Him of their infirmities (Luke 5:15)
- And He was preaching in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and casting out demons. (Mark 1:39)
Listed below are several examples of individuals being delivered or released from evil spirits by the Lord Jesus Christ and by the seventy who were followers of the Lord Jesus invoking the name of “Jesus.”
- Now when He rose early on the first day of the week, He appeared first to Mary Magdalene, out of whom He had cast seven demons. (Mark 16:9)
- and certain women who had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities—Mary called Magdalene, out of whom had come seven demons (Luke 8:2)
The demon-possessed man:
- 26 Then they sailed to the country of the Gadarenes, which is opposite Galilee. 27 And when He stepped out on the land, there met Him a certain man from the city who had demons for a long time. And he wore no clothes, nor did he live in a house but in the tombs. 28 When he saw Jesus, he cried out, fell down before Him, and with a loud voice said, “What have I to do with You, Jesus, Son of the Most High God? I beg You, do not torment me!” 29 For He had commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For it had often seized him, and he was kept under guard, bound with chains and shackles; and he broke the bonds and was driven by the demon into the wilderness.
- Jesus asked him, saying, “What is your name?” And he said, “Legion,” because many demonshad entered him.
Can you imagine a legion? A legion in the Roman infantry of men is from 3,000 to 6,000!
- 31 And they begged Him that He would not command them to go out into the abyss. 32 Now a herd of many swine was feeding there on the mountain. So they begged Him that He would permit them to enter them. And He permitted them. 33 Then the demons went out of the man and entered the swine, and the herd ran violently down the steep place into the lake and drowned. (Luke 8:31-33)
- Then the seventy returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons are subject to us in Your name.” (Luke 10:17)
- And He was casting out a demon, and it was mute. So it was, when the demon had gone out, that the mute spoke; and the multitudes marveled. (Luke 11:14)
- 4 And being assembled together with them, He commanded them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the Promise of the Father, “which,” He said, “you have heard from Me; 5 for John truly baptized with water, but you shall be baptized with the Holy Spirit not many days from now.”
Call on the name of the Lord Jesus; establish a relationship, get baptized in the Holy Spirit so you, too, can be empowered to cast out demons in His name:
- 21 And it shall come to pass That whoever calls on the name of the Lord Shall be saved. (Acts 2:21)