Grace, the freely given, unmerited favor and love of God. This word appears approximately 145 times in the bible. I also noticed grace appearing simultaneous with mercy, peace and truth in the bible. Let’s take a look at the blessings and consequences with and without grace that affect all areas of our lives:
1125–75; Middle English < Old French < Latin grātia favor, kindness, esteem, derivative of grātus pleasing
11. fall fromgrace.Theology.
b.to lose favor; be discredited: He fell from grace when the boss found out he had lied.
15. with good grace, willingly; ungrudgingly: She took on the extra work with good grace.
Grace is but one of many of God’s character, his attitude of truth, mercy, and compassion towards his creation–mankind.
We’re polluted with sin. We fail. We fall from doing what is right. We bow down to the weakness of temptation. Yet, in His grace God hasn’t totally destroyed man. We don’t deserve God’s kindness but because of his grace, he saves us from sin. Grace is a blessing from God, releasing his love, patience, healing virtue, protection, wisdom, understanding, knowledge, kindness, thoughtfulness, joy, and peace that surpasses all understanding, a release from bondage:
- Genesis 6:8 But Noah found gracein the eyes of the LORD.
- Exodus 33:12 ‘I know you by name, and you have also found grace in My sight.’
- Ezra 9:8 And now for a little while grace has been shown from the LORD our God, to leave us a remnant to escape, and to give us a peg in His holy place, that our God may enlighten our eyes and give us a measure of revival in our bondage.
Grace is also a spirit:
- Zechariah 12:10 And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn.
- Hebrews 10:29 Of how much worse punishment, do you suppose, will he be thought worthy who has trampled the Son of God underfoot, counted the blood of the covenant by which he was sanctified a common thing, and insulted the Spirit of grace?
So how about the consequences for the lack of grace? Without God’s grace, destruction is released because there isn’t any protection to guard you, no love, no kindness, just an empty place in our lives. No understanding, no wisdom, no happiness is found without God. If you don’t want to participate in God’s eternal world (heaven), he will withdraw his grace. What a pain, what a loss! To live forever without God…unimaginable! Choose! Do not deny the Lord Jesus Christ from being a part of your life.
- Hebrews 12:15 looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled;
- Hebrews 13:9 Do not be carried about with various and strange doctrines. For it is good that the heart be established by grace, not with foods which have not profited those who have been occupied with them.
- Psalm 84:11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;The LORD will give grace and glory; No good thing will He withhold From those who walk uprightly.
- Proverbs 3:34 Surely He scorns the scornful, But gives grace to the humble
- John 1:17 For the law was given through Moses, but grace and truth came through Jesus Christ.
- 1 Peter 5:10 But may the God of all grace, who called us to His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after you have suffered a while, perfect, establish, strengthen, and settle you.
Do you have a relationship with Jesus Christ? No? Then pray this prayer of salvation:
Heavenly Father: I come to your throne of Grace, Splendor, and Majesty in the name of Jesus Christ. Your Word says that “whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord, shall be saved” and “if thou shall confess with thy mouth, the name of the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in thy heart, that He died and that God has raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
You said that my salvation would be the result of the Holy Spirit giving me new birth by coming to live in me and that if I would ask, you would fill me with your Spirit and also give me the ability to speak in other tongues.
I take you at your word: I confess that Jesus Christ is your son and is Lord. I believe that He died and you raised him from the dead. Father God, please forgive me of my sins, transgressions and iniquities–my faults and weaknesses. I’m sorry.
Thank you for coming into my heart, for giving me your Holy Spirit, as you promised, and for being Lord over my life. Amen.
The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you all. Amen.