For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. (Matt 7:8)
On April 4, 2011, I wrote an article titled “Ask The Lord” wherein I outlined many reasons why we needed to ask of Him. At the time I believed it was because so many people didn’t know that when they pray, it’s ok to ask and be specific in asking.
This article expands and expounds (to set forth or state in detail) on asking, seeking, and knocking on heaven’s door.
Ask from our Father in Heaven in the name of Jesus. Why ask? Isn’t it sort of automatic? After all, He is real, isn’t He? Doesn’t He know everything? Doesn’t He know we are in need of well everything, food, clothing, shelter, and finances? Why do we need to ask?
All good questions, but no, it’s not automatic and yes, He is real. Not even your breath is automatic. Someday you will cease to breathe, so you need to establish a relationship with the One who made you.
This nation is facing an economic hardship but we are the children of the Most High God and we are in a separate “culture.” Do not believe that it’s all for nothing because of our current bleak state of affairs.
Yes, the Lord does know what you need:
- “Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.” (Matt 6:8)
Jesus has given us his command, that we ask:
- “At that day ye shall ask in my name: and I say not unto you, that I will pray the Father for you.” (John 16:26)
- “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.” (James 1:5)
However, when you pray asking for the Lord for “whatever” ask in faith believing that He will give it to you. Do not be double minded ie: ask by saying one thing then saying something else contrary to what you prayed for:
- “But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.” (James 1:6)
Do not ask in greed or with bad intentions.
- “Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.” (James 4:2)
- “Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.”(James 4:3)
Seek (to go in search or quest of: to seek the truth) His face, seek His love, search Him in the morning, in the noon, and at night and find Him.
- But if from thence thou shalt seek the LORD thy God, thou shalt find him, if thou seek him with all thy heart and with all thy soul. (Deut 4:29)
- Abide thou with me, fear not: for he that seeketh my life seeketh thy life: but with me thou shalt be in safeguard. (1 Samuel 22:23)
- The heart of the prudent getteth knowledge; and the ear of the wise seeketh knowledge. (Proverbs 18:15)
- Evil men understand not judgment: but they that seek the LORD understand all things. (Proverbs 28:5)
- But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you. (Luke 12:31)
Knock (to strike a sounding blow with the fist, knuckles, or anything hard, especially on a door, window, or the like, as in seeking admittance, calling attention, or giving a signal: to knock on the door before entering)–be persistent, knock with sincerity, with a pure heart and it shall be opened onto you, in the name of Jesus:
- And ye yourselves like unto men that wait for their lord, when he will return from the wedding; that when he cometh and knocketh, they may open unto him immediately. (Luke 12:36)
- But Peter continued knocking: and when they had opened the door, and saw him, they were astonished. (Acts 12:16)
- Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me. (Rev 3:20)
I once read a story where a man who was in need of the truth, prayed to the Lord asking: “God if you are real, speak with me so that I may know it is you.” Shortly thereafter, he received in his spirit the following: “Go buy a gallon of milk and take it to this address.”
Surprised but excited the man bought a gallon of milk and knocking on the door of an apartment, a woman answered the door, with a crying baby in the background, and greeted him.
The man stated, in a rather matter of fact voice, “Here, I’m supposed to bring this to you” and handed the gallon of milk to the woman who cried out “Oh! I was just asking the Lord in prayer for some milk for my crying baby as we have none!” “Thank You!” she exclaimed in gratitude.
Two prayers were answered: the man who wanted to know if the Lord was real and the woman who needed milk for her crying baby. Prayers can be simple or sometimes complex. Is there any specific stance for praying? I believe it depends on the situation.
Some people simply clasp their hands together in submission to the Lord and others, well…
A man fell into a narrow well, head first, lodging himself so that he couldn’t move around at all. He prayed for help upside down!
- The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much. (James 5:16)
Ask, Seek, and Knock for the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
Do you have a relationship with Jesus Christ? No? Then pray this prayer of salvation:
Prayer of Salvation
We don’t deserve it; He Is Willing to Give It to You
Heavenly Father: I come to your throne of Grace, Splendor, and Majesty in the name of Jesus Christ. Your Word says that “whosoever shall call on the name of the Lord, shall be saved” and “if thou shall confess with thy mouth, the name of the Lord Jesus, and shall believe in thy heart, that He died and that God has raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.”
You said that my salvation would be the result of the Holy Spirit giving me new birth by coming to live in me and that if I would ask, you would fill me with your Spirit and give me the ability to speak in other tongues.
I take you at your word: I confess that Jesus Christ is your son and is Lord. I believe that He died and you raised him from the dead. Father God, please forgive me of my sins, transgressions and iniquities–my faults and weaknesses. I’m sorry.
Thank you for coming into my heart, for giving me your Holy Spirit, as you promised, and for being Lord over my life. Amen.
If you prayed the Prayer of Salvation, then indeed, you are born again.