I’d never had these promises spoken over me until my Pastor (Mario Nava) called the congregation to come forward to the altar, particularly the parents with children, to lay hands over them and speak God’s promises into their children’s lives.
Of course, many in the congregation were single and some had no father, so Pastor called us forward and proclaimed himself as our spiritual parent (father) and spoke God’s promises over us.
Ever since then I have prayed daily and reminded the Lord that these are His promises of blessings and have laid claim to them. God is faithful to His Word and I sincerely believe gets excited that we believe in Him and trust in Him to act on our behalf.
Listed below is a brief explanation of the word blessing(s):
|1.||the act of invoking divine protection or aid|
|2.||the words or ceremony used for this|
|3.||a short prayer of thanksgiving before or after a meal; grace|
|4.||Judaism brachah , Also called: brocho|
|a. a short prayer prescribed for a specific occasion and beginning “Blessed art thou, O Lord…”|
|b. a section of the liturgy including a similar formula|
|5.||approval; good wishes: her father gave his blessing to the marriage|
|6.||the bestowal of a divine gift or favour|
|7.||a happy event or state of affairs: a blessing in disguise|
Speak God’s promises over your own children, believe that He will act on behalf of your children and take care of them. I’ve been prompted to take my mom (who is a great, great-grandmother) and together have prayed God’s promises to the upcoming generations in our family.
I see them now coming forward and asking for prayer. I believe they now, too, have come to believe in God and His goodness. But it started with an active “let’s pray to God” attitude.
I have this prayer printed on card stock and continue to pray it daily over myself, still believing and trusting in the Lord to have His promises come to pass:
- the Lord your God will set you high above all nations of the earth.
- 2 And all these blessings shall come upon you and overtake you, because you obey the voice of the Lord your God:
- 3 “Blessed shall you be in the city, and blessed shall you be in the country.
- 4 “Blessed shall be the fruit of your body, the produce of your ground and the increase of your herds, the increase of your cattle and the offspring of your flocks.
- 5 “Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading bowl.
- 6 “Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.
- 7 “The Lord will cause your enemies who rise against you to be defeated before your face; they shall come out against you one way and flee before you seven ways.
- 8 “The Lord will command the blessing on you in your storehouses and in all to which you set your hand, and He will bless you in the land which the Lord your God is giving you.
- 9 “The Lord will establish you as a holy people to Himself, just as He has sworn to you, if you keep the commandments of the Lord your God and walk in His ways.
- 10 Then all people’s of the earth shall see that you are called by the name of the Lord, and they shall be afraid of you.
- 11 And the Lord will grant you plenty of goods, in the fruit of your body, in the increase of your livestock, and in the produce of your ground, in the land of which the Lord swore to your fathers to give you.
- 12 The Lord will open to you His good treasure, the heavens, to give the rain to your land in its season, and to bless all the work of your hand. You shall lend to many nations, but you shall not borrow.
- 13 And the Lord will make you the head and not the tail; you shall be above only, and not be beneath, if you heed the commandments of the Lord your God, which I command you today, and are careful to observe them.
- 14 So you shall not turn aside from any of the words which I command you this day, to the right or the left, to go after other gods to serve them.
Blessed Be Your Name
by the Newsboys