As the creator of the heavens and of the earth, God is sovereign ruler over all His creation–the original bringing into existence of the universe by God.
When God asked Adam, “Where are you?” God knew precisely where Adam was. God knows everything, nothing is hidden from Him (adjective: He is present everywhere at the same time: the omnipresent God). God was asking Adam to force Adam to acknowledge his situation, his relationship with God, his now fallen condition–he had just sinned from disobedience affecting everything about him, his family, and for all generations to come–his today and all his tomorrows.
Examining three facets in our relationship to the Lord, Where You Are, Where You Are Going, and finally reaching Here I Am:
1. Where You Are:
- And the LORD said to Abram, after Lot had separated from him: “Lift your eyes now and look from the place where you are—northward, southward, eastward, and westward… (Genesis 13:14)
Look around you. Take stock of your current situation with the Lord. Are you placing enough value into what He is saying? Are you following Him with all your strength, all of your might? Do you have a set time and place to worship Him daily? Are you reading your bible daily to get to know His way, His will for your life?
2. Where are you going?
- And He said, “Hagar, Sarai’s maid, where have you come from, and where are you going?” She said, “I am fleeing… (Genesis 16:8)
- ‘To whom do you belong, and where are you going? (Genesis 32:17)
Like Hagar, are your circumstances in such a way that you are running from God by not following His lead? Are you committed to God that you have the full understanding of what God is doing in your life to further you deeper into a fruitful relationship with Him? Do you have purpose to change your ways to His ways?
Are you like Martha? “But Martha was distracted with much serving,” (Luke 10:40) so much so that the Lord states:
“Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things.” (Luke 10:41)
3. Here I Am:
- Now it came to pass after these things that God tested Abraham, and said to him, “Abraham!” And he said, “Here I am.” (Genesis 22:22)
Are you so committed with passion for the Lord that you have chosen wisely and can say with all humility and honesty, “Lord, Here I Am,” when He calls you?
Are you embedded into a rich, trustful, relationship with the Lord that when things don’t go the way you intended, you dwell in the Lord to help you get through the situation and accept “that which I cannot change?”
Can you praise and worship freely, willingly to the Lord for all that He has done? Where are you?
- [ Joy in the Fellowship of God ] A Psalm of David when he was in the wilderness of Judah. O God, You are my God; Early will I seek You; My soul thirsts for You; My flesh longs for You In a dry and thirsty land Where there is no water. (Psalm 63:1)
Hosanna In The Highest